Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Farewell to Ride Captaining for Now


I wanted to say just a few words as I stop ride captaining for the LBC, at least for the present, being unwilling to sign a contract and accept responsibility for some many things that may not be possible to do.  I am not angry, only saddened that it is time, but the time would have come regardless. As I think it was Gibran said, "But life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday."  If anything, losing my husband showed me, among other things,  that life changes despite our best efforts to drag our heels and slow it down. And I am growing older, less willing to spend my time on things that don't contribute to the time I have left here on this  beautiful planet that we seem determined to destroy.

I have tried to be a good ride captain.  Sometimes I succeeded and other times I did not.  I am, perhaps, the ONLY ride captain to enter the parking lot to find that rather than being in front of me, as I thought, all the riders were behind me;-)

To those that enjoyed my rides, I am glad.  Looking back on 14 years of leading club centuries, I particularly enjoyed the times new riders finished their first century on the Medora route.  The smiles that lit your faces, those smiles of accomplishment when you realized that despite your sore bum and your legs you had made it, particularly through the last of the hills, lit my heart.  And I enjoyed the small rides, those where just a few people showed and we got to know each other a bit. And then there were the rides I did not enjoy  that went on and on seeming as if they would never end due to an unprepared rider or another issue or my own bad mood.  I realize that all was not sweetness and light and that there were times when I was less patient or understanding than I maybe should or could have been.

For those that felt I did not do the job a ride captain can do, I am sorry.  Sometimes I was a good ride captain, other times not so good.  All times were free.

While most of you don't ride centuries regularly, or at least not if they are not TMD stages, I do intend to have the occasional show and go.  I will still put on Bethlehem the first week-end of December barring anything unforeseen or inclement weather.  It just will not be an LBC ride.  If you show up, you will show up because you enjoy the course, enjoy my company, enjoy the bike, or all three.  Others I will post here on the list serve.  Mostly, I will probably ride on my own when there are no club centuries available soaking up the beauty that makes up Kentuckiana and her back-roads among the prettiest places on earth, quite dear to my heart.

Ride your bicycles, folks.  Feel the wind on your cheeks and listen to her as she whispers her secrets in your ears. Feel your muscles work and your lungs pound as the wheels turn. Look around you and see the beauty on small, back country lanes in all seasons.  Appreciate the small stores that survive out there with little business, giving you coolness in the summer, warmth in the winter, and maybe even buy a little extra something to help them hang in there a bit longer.  Appreciate your ride captains that watch over you on rides, that give of their time and their expertise. Be considerate.  Be prepared for rides you attend or ask the ride captain ahead of time if they mind doing a 12 hour century.  Actually plan a route and captain a ride. But mostly ride your bikes while you can, at least if you accept the risks involved.

I may decide to captain again in the future or I may not, but it has been something that has been worthwhile, even during the bad times.

Puddle

No comments:

Post a Comment