Sunday, October 13, 2019

Medora: The End of the TMD 2019

"When someone makes you the happiest
person and the saddest person at the same
time, that's when it's real.  That's when it's
worth something."
Anonymous
(Photo courtesy of John Fong)

Medora:  the tradition of having this century as the last stage of the Tour de Mad Dog, with a little luck and a little work rerouting, continues.  Luckily, while the road into Medora was still closed, construction was at a stage where we could walk through, albeit a bit of mud on the cleats,  and I was able to find a route that also took us off of another state road that was under construction.

The weather prediction concerns me as it is supposed to be quite cold at the start; but I remain glad that it has changed from what it was for originally it was supposed to be not only cold, but rainy.  While I know there are people who need this stage to complete the challenge, I would have canceled if it were rainy.  Yes, I have ridden in cold rain, even at night, but it just is not in me to do so presently.  Or perhaps I fool myself:  many the times I vowed I would not ride in certain conditions only to later find myself on the bike in the middle of a rain storm. lightening flashing, pedals turning, cursing myself with a smile or grimace on my face, but glad I had the fortitude to get myself out the door, glad that I am a fool when it comes to my bicycle. For some reason this brings to mind the look on my husband's face years ago when I was pregnant with our daughter in January and I told him that I just had to have watermelon to eat, as if it was available anywhere in that day and age at that time of year.  But he tried.

With a start in the 30's and a high in the 50's, I wonder how many will show, but it is a larger turn out than expected.  Everyone is in a good mood and smiles light faces.  It is not the people exactly that give me mixed emotions of happiness and sadness, but the ride itself.  There is something about endings, and this is the end to the season.

I will not see many, if not most, of these people until the next riding season.  Some will be "one and done" people:  they complete the TMD one time and never ride the series again due to time, dislike of distance, moving on, whatever.  And some, like me, fall in love with distance riding and the challenges it imposes.   They will make the time and they will return.  They may curse and grumble and vow they are not going to do it, but they will be there with secret smiles behind their gripes ready to get it done.

 Already I worry about if I will be strong enough next year,  if I again will be the oldest woman in the tour, and as age claims strength, among the slowest.  But regardless, I know I will be back barring accident or illness or misfortune. On the other side of the coin, there is a satisfaction in having completed the challenge again, of looking forward to slow riding and draining the last drops of the fall and sunshine from the season.  There is the anticipation of another spring where my eyes fill with delight as the earth swipes her fist across her eyes and color and sound returns spilling relentless from her blankets as she arises.  And the green, how I love it when the earth begins to bleed green, shy, tentative touches giving way to bold streaks and hues. The flowers that begin to garnish the earth dancing in the breezes that skip across the land.  In the spring, Ralph W. Emerson and I are on one page about, "the earth laughs in flowers."

But now it is fall and now it is the last ride of the tour. I love the sounds at the start of a ride.  Sometimes I take a few seconds, take a deep breath, close my eyes, and just listen.  Conversation mixes with laughter, different kinds of laughter: laughter speaking of excitement, of trepidation, of amusement, of nervousness.  Some of the voices are dear to me and I would recognize them anywhere; others I don't really know well or at all, but they all mingle to form a symphony, acrescendo. There are the sounds of bikes being readied, air being pumped into tires, front wheels being attached, bikes being removed from cars,  and there is the sound of bikes already prepared and moving as the rider checks that brakes are not dragging and all is in working order. I love the sights at the start of a ride.  The different colored jersey choices that people have made, the smiles on faces, that look on faces when one is involved in a joint effort to accomplish a task. 

I am so happy that people have come to share the day, the course, the festival, and the brilliant sunshine.  Most I know, some I don't know, but all are welcome.  Despite the cold, I hear Paul Battles say repeatedly throughout the day, "What a beautiful day!"  And it is.  The ride appears to go well and some of us gather for the celebratory pizza dinner afterward.  Thank you, John and Fritz, for the treat.  You are too kind.  For those that missed it, I hope that, if that tradition continues next year, you join us.  Thank you to all that rode today.  All of you made me happy and sad at the same time, and as an anonymous someone noted, "That's worth something."

Thank you, Bob Grable, for organizing the tour this year.  Thank you to those who took their time and captained the stages.  Please consider doing it again next year.  Hopefully some of the new TMD finishers will also step up to the plate. For those who have never completed a tour stage, now is the time to begin thinking of setting that goal in 2020. Training needs to begin early and needs to include some distance and some hills. It is a challenge, but you will feel a sense of pride in your accomplishment, or you should.  Will it be easy?  No.  But most things that are truly rewarding are not easy.  Effort spices the results.

Congratulations to all finishers (except maybe Dave King and Mike Kammenish and they know why;-), but particularly to the numerous first time finishers:

Paula Pierce
Dee Schreur
Tony Nall
John Fong
Fritz Kopatz
Tom Askew
Alan McCoy
Marta Mack-Washington 
Pennie DeTorres

I wish I had a picture of all of them together to share; however, I don't.  My helmet is off to the nine of you.  Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment