Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Years Hike and Bike 2020



"Express gratitude for the
greatness of small things."
Richie Norton

Just a short, open thank you to Rich for the hike and bike today.  Could there possibly be a better way to begin the New Year?   It is always such a nice crowd that gathers and everyone seems to feel at home.  And the weather today:  sunny and relatively warm with little wind.  Life is good.

I was a bit hesitant to ride as I apparently tore an abdominal muscle November 30th.  As always, I rested a bit after the injury only to find that I had returned to my activities too quickly and the pain intensified.  I got a very short, flat ride in one day over the Christmas break, but I have not been on the bike or gone to Pilates since though I have walked and hiked a bit.  I know, however, that this group is extremely tolerant of a slow pace even though most of them are incredibly strong riders.  What I am trying to say is that it is the attitude, not the ability, that is comforting.  And as it turns out, while I am not pain free after, I was not pain free beforehand and the pain has not intensified despite two good climbs.

I am disappointed when I hear that Keith has a sick child and won't make it as he almost always does at least one thing that I find remarkably funny during a ride, but I am glad to hear he is taking his parenting responsibilities seriously.  Having worked in Child Protection for about 30 years, I am more aware than many that some people don't.  I am glad to see Tim.  Tim is just one of those people that make you feel good and reassures you that there are just people who are nice in this world.  And it is good to see Rich.  It seems that despite his numerous rides, I only manage to attend one or two per year, and I enjoy getting a chance to say hello.  At the lunch that follows, I also get a brief chance to chat with Julie.  There are also three riders I have not met before.

At the start of the ride, I try to remember how I first hooked up with this group.  I know it was on Facebook, but I think perhaps it was George Lombardi who first recommended the group to me.  If so, George, I owe you.  However it happened, I was steered here about a year following my husband's passing.  I still remember my trepidation and the kindness of everyone at that first ride.  How glad I am that I made myself attend. 

During the ride, we come upon a group of cyclists.  From the pedal stroke, I surmise that Jon Wineland is one of those cyclists.  I call out and sure enough, it is him.  So I am also treated to a bit of a catch up conversation with Jon.  During that conversation, I learn that the young boy riding with that group, Evan, not to be confused with Devon, has a new bicycle.  When I compliment his bike, Evan is obviously quite proud of his new ride (as are all true cyclists).  He tells me his grandfather gave him the bag on the front of his bike.  As we ride on leaving them behind (I rarely leave Jon behind on rides as he normally leaves me behind with his quick legs), I think how wonderful it is to see a child included.  Tim and I talk briefly of balance bikes and of how his grandson now has a pedal bike and how they ride together. 

The hike is lovely.   Because of the weather, we meet lots of hikers, particularly hikers with dogs in tow.  The dogs are obviously having a great time.  I briefly think of how lucky I am to live so close to so many nice places to hike:  Clifty Falls, Charlestown State Park, and The Knobstone.  Mostly I spend my time thinking about how grateful I am to Rich for putting on this ride and to the others for their easy acceptance. 

When the hike is over, we bike back into town to meet Julie for lunch.  Since my children returned home and I have indulged in a bit of over-eating and under-exercising during their visit, I have fasted since the previous afternoon.  This combined with exercise and company make the meal a true feast.  Counting my blessings and this ride and the people on it are one of them. 

2 comments:

  1. It was a great day made all the better by having you with us. Always love reading your impressions of our events.

    ReplyDelete