Friday, June 17, 2022

I Need the Miles;-)

"The question isn't who is going to let

me; it's who is going to stop me."

Ayn Rand

 

I have giggled numerous times over Mark's assertion the other day when he was riding in the extreme heat alert with me that he needed the miles.  So what if the feel like temperature exceeded 100 degrees. And today, on a 32 mile solo ride while the heat warnings continue, I continue to giggle and think about why it struck me as so funny.  I think, perhaps, because they are words I and most other cyclists have said and are just, you know, so typically cyclist like.  And we are not lying when we say those words.  We do need the miles, mentally as well as physically, despite the fact we are not professionals and our livelihoods do not depend upon it.  


Maybe, I think, it is because cycling is sometimes, though not always, a chance to visit and catch up with friends.  And while we do have cycling friends, they often are unwilling to ameliorate their pace for long if we let ourselves slack and get out of shape.  Maybe it is partially because we can leave worries and frustrations strung out along the road behind us if only for a while.  It is just too hard to worry about a bill coming do or a relationship issue when you are panting trying to master a hill or a maintain a certain pace.  

 

I will say I love the moments when my body acts as an orchestra, each movement coordinated and playing along and in tune with the other. Maybe it is because our bodies were meant to be used, and used rather demandingly, or such is my belief.  It makes me think of what someone once said after being taunted about his running with the young death of Jim Fixx.  He told me that he did not really run to extend his life, but to improve the quality.  "I feel good," he told me, "even when I am taking out the trash."


Soon, however, the orange day lilies distract me from my thoughts.  They are so beautiful and so wild.  One never knows where one might come upon a patch.  I think how unfortunate it is that the county decided to mow along the sides of the road this week when they were just starting to bloom. But there are still plenty  lining the roads the escaped the blades.  And the Black Eyed Susan are starting to pop  up.


Suddenly, as I make a turn to head home, I spot someone on a bicycle coming toward me.  This is unusual here.   It is rare for me to see anyone on a bike.  As we near, I see it is my friend Diana.  I turn my bike around and ask where we are going.  It is nice to loll along and catch up for a few miles before it is time for her to head home.  She tells me to go on as her dog will follow me if I accompany her to her house to drop her off.  


As I head home, the heat is becoming more oppressive, but it is still quite comfortable, perhaps because of the wind.  Rather than fight her, I just ease my pace and head toward her knowing home is but a few miles away.  The heat is supposed to end for the week-end, then return with heat values in the hundreds again.  But barring something unforeseen, I will ride.  As Rand notes, who will stop me?  And I need the miles. 





No comments:

Post a Comment