Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Early December 2020

"For everything you have missed, 

you have gained something else; 

and for everything you gain, you lose something."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

It has been quite awhile since I have blogged about a ride or a hike or pretty much anything.  It is not that I have been injured or sitting idle in my house, but for some reason the urge has not hit me to put hand to keyboard and share thoughts.  And I have had quite a few memorable and enjoyable moments. All in all, despite the pandemic, I am blessed. I have my health, my house, my bike, and enough money coming in to get by.  The weather thus far has been more to the good side than the bad.  Some days have been colder than normal, but not the majority.  Some have been cloudy or windy, but many have had at least some sunshine and quieter gusts.  So I can't blame the weather, just me.

 

As I rode recently on a sunny day where the day had started in the low thirties but warmed up to at least the high thirties if not the forties, I thought about how a number of years ago, there would have been a group of us riding together, probably on a century ride, enjoying the day, laughing and joking, but that just is no longer the case.  At first I thought perhaps that they were riding, but without including me as I have slowed with age and there has been a gap caused by different political beliefs and I was sad but okay with that, but my phone reveals that while a few of my old companions are riding, and riding at the same time, they are  not together and not outside.  They are on Zwift. And it struck me as sad, deeply sad, and I wondered if they realize yet what we have left behind. Was it a conscious choice or did it just happen, aided by the indisputable fact that it is harder to motivate in the winter? I almost inevitably enjoy it once I am out and doing something, but it is just harder to get out the door.  Or perhaps I ride for a different reason than do they? 

 

Don't get me wrong.  I liked Zwift when I was able to play it on my computer.  It was nice to have on cold, windy days when going outside held absolutely no appeal, particularly if one is riding alone, or when snow and ice cover the ground making riding dangerous.  Following a Zwift update, however, my computer, while only about three years old, would no longer handle Zwift.   My daughter is on a quest to help me with this, but thus far no luck. Up to that point, I tried all their suggestions to the best of my non-computer minded ability.  My daughter tried all their suggestions to no avail and she is quite proficient with computers. And I have not given up.  She is going to try something new this week-end, hooking me up through another avenue.  But despite that, even if she is successful, I think it is sad. Not that we  have Zwift and other such programs, but that it zapped the time we had riding outside in a group with others.  And of course, the pandemic has weighed in, but this began happening before we were cursed with that particular blight.

 

It reminds me of when cell phones first became popular and people no longer chatted with each other at store stops during rides sharing their recent happenings and jokes and stories, but glued themselves and their attention to their cell phones.  And I am not saying I am better or different.  Once I finally gave in and acquired a smart phone, I often found myself doing the same thing.  But I do realize there has been something lost, something precious.  And it saddens me at times, even if the gains are as great as the loss. I suppose everything in life has a cost.


Today as I rode, I thought about the St. Nick's Hick Ride I did on Saturday this week and how much I enjoyed myself.  (Link to video composed by Rich Ries:)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvSUjXaF3ps&feature=youtu.be  It was good to see everyone.  It is not that we are emotionally close to each other or even what I would even consider close friends, but we are bonded by the enjoyment of this yearly ride, by Rich Ries who is kind enough to organize the ride each year and include me, and by our love of cycling though they lean more toward mountain biking and I suck at mountain biking.  The weather was unusually good for a Hick ride.  Indeed, at one point, I joke about it telling Rich I wondered if something was wrong with him when I saw it was not supposed be zero degrees or colder.  The sun was shining and the wind was light.  The pace was relaxed and the only goal seemed to be to enjoy the world that God has bestowed upon us and each other. It was made more special by the lack of club rides due to COVID and because I know I must isolate as much as possible between then and when I go to see my new granddaughter, Lia.  I also enjoyed the short stretch of single track, something new to me and that actually did not kill me or cause me to break any bones;-)

 

If things never changed, however, there would be no Lia, there would be no Ivy.   Life has a habit of moving onward.   Some people remain in our lives and others don't.  Some people continue to bicycle and others don't.  I suppose the trick is, as Adrienne Rich pointed out, to love what you do and not what you have done, and to be thankful for those that remain dear to  you.  To appreciate what you had, but to concentrate on the gains rather than the losses.  To remain aware of your blessings.  And to move forward enjoying the ride. 







3 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed your company on the Saint Nick HICK, as always. Looking forward to the next time we get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had been years since I've paid attention to your blog posts -- I don't know why. But this post caused me to scan around and read (or at least skim) several of your blog posts. Conclusion: you write well, you have a depth of knowledge of (sometimes) useful literature, your blogging usually captures a part of the soul of cycling.

    Regarding Zwift (and other stationary training software or even just the mechanical ones): I've always held the opinion that one can get in shape on trainers, but it isn't real riding. No interaction with the sounds and smells and ever-changing sights of nature. Trainer rides seem to be about performance, performance, and performance -- never about inner peace reached through just pedaling along and experiencing the outdoors. People retreating onto trainers is perhaps due to time constraints, lack of appropriate ride partners for the open road, and I dunno', I'm just typing whatever pops from head to my fingers. But confinement on trainers, is that what cycling is really about?

    Regarding cell phones: locally, in the 2010 - 2012/13 timeframe, many cyclists would post to Facebook from every control during a brevet or permanent (and I only joined FB in order to follow the 2011 Taste of Carolina 1200). So ubiquitous was such FB posting, that my friend Robert once joked, as we were leaving the lunch stop on a 138-km perm-pop, "are you sure we can leave? no one has posted anything to Facebook."

    Sharing that with another friend, Lynn, on a subsequent ride, she commented, "yep, they seem to be on Facebook even before their bikes come to a stop." Lynn has never joined Facebook -- smart woman.

    In the early 2010's, more than a couple people told me that my blog had a larger audience than I realized and that people appreciated the humor approach. (Sudden recollection: early in the 2011 Raleigh Region 200 brevet, a rider had met the previous year but he didn't really recall me, in reaction to a couple comments, suddenly said, "are you the 'skiffrun blog'?" That was a surprise to me. Anyway, the point of this paragraph is that you seem to have maintained the soul-full approach to your blog posts whereas I have lost the humor aspect. I reckon the reasons are several, but chief among them I would count: (1) the Feb-20-2016 bashing-into that occurred on a Perm here in the Raleigh area (leaving two randos with life changing injuries), (2) this 2020 'anus horriblus' coronovirus idiocy with its lock-downs and "social distancing".

    In summary, I have gained a new respect for your blog posts, full of well thought out and written soul. Please keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. They truly made my day. I hope you find your smile again. Now, more than ever, humor is one of our best defenses and a true gift. I feel certain if you search for it, even if initially it is not heartfelt, it will once again become so. I visited your blog and enjoyed it and your photos. My son and his family are hoping to move to your state in the next year or two, so who knows. If that happens perhaps one day we will meet on the road. Thank you again.

      Delete